Sydonia (シドニア, Shidonia) is a supporting character in Suikoden. Sydonia is a bandit of few words with a unique teleportation ability.
Varkas“ Affable fellow. Anyway, that there is Marksman Sydonia. ”
Sydonia was raised as a spectacle in a travelling show, due to his unique teleport powers, before that group was one day raided by Varkas's bandits. Since then, he has worked under Varkas in the group, as his second-in-command.
Sydonia's teleporting has earned him the title of "Marksman Sydonia." The bandits would attack Scarlet Moon Empire officials around the area of Rockland. He is extremely taciturn, with Varkas being the only person he is willing to communicate at any length with.
Sydonia and Varkas were captured by the son of Teo McDohl on the orders of Kanaan. When the Imperial Guard left Rockland, Sydonia and Varkas were strung up and left to starve to death. Although eventually rescued by the same group who had captured them, Sydonia apparently could have teleported away at any time but chose not to escape alone. Later, after the Toran Liberation Army acquired Toran Castle, Sydonia and Varkas joined the group.
Following the end of the Gate Rune War, Sydonia was invited to join the Toran Republic Border Guard by Varkas, but Sydonia simply disappeared.
- In the English version of Suikoden, Sydonia's ending simply says "disappears", but his ending in the Japanese version lists that he was asked to join the Toran Republic Border Guards by Varkas.
- Sydonia may be an in-name only reference to the demon Asmodeus, as his name is very close to "Sydonai", a Romanian word name for the demon.
- Sydonia is the only character in Suikoden that teleports when attacking.
- Sydonia shares the same battle sprite as Quincy; their sprite is a simple pallete swap with minor differences.
- Gensosuikoden Encyclopaedia (ISBN 4-575-16297-3), page 129
- Gensosuikoden Kiwami Encyclopedia, page 59
- ↑ "Disappears." - Sydonia's Ending Text (Suikoden)
- ↑ "バルカスとともに共和軍に誘われるが、いつしか姿を消す" - Sydonia's Ending Text (Suikoden)