Shu is an accomplished strategist and trader. He trained under Mathiu Silverberg, but was expelled after using his knowledge for selfish gain. He eventually settled in Radat Town where he became a wealthy and famous trader.
During the early stages of the Dunan Unification War, Apple approached Shu to ask him to join the New State Army . Though hesitant to join the war, Shu accepted after being impressed by Apple's dedication.
As the chief strategist of the New State Army, Shu came up with many ingenious strategies to help propel the New State Army to victory. He frequently overcame superior numbers through the use of psychological warfare, such as taking advantage of recently conquered South Window soldiers' fears that they would be executed by the Highland Army during a battle against Solon Jhee, faking discord between himself and Ridley in order to have Ridley's unit create an ambush in a subsequent battle, and using a fire attack to trap Leon Silverberg after anticipating Leon's movements in the Last Battle.
Personality and Traits
Though taught by Mathiu Silverberg, Shu followed a different ideology than his teacher, preferring to use his knowledge for profit. Shu and Mathiu were unable to get along and Mathiu eventually expelled Shu. Shu never saw Mathiu again.
As a trader, Shu developed a vast fortune, trading with places as far as the Island Nations and his fame as a trader spread as far as the Toran Republic. His success was said to be because he handled every detail of his trades himself. Shu also had a reputation for politeness and treated his servants well.
As a strategist, Shu did whatever was necessary to guarantee the success of the New State Army, including sending Pilika with a rescue party during a peace conference ambush in Muse City and asking Kiba Windamier on a suicide mission during the attack on the Matilda Knightdom. However, Shu did not consider people as pawns, which he considered Leon Silverberg's attitude as a strategist. Leon equally disliked Shu's attitude, considering Shu's talent wasted. Shu was even prepared to give his own life for the New State Army, although he was rescued by Viktor.
- "Shu studied military tactics under Mathiu, but he was expelled for using his knowledge for selfish gain." - Richmond (Suikoden II)
- "Dreams of a quiet life even as he continues to play as a vital role in Dunan Republic." - Shu's Ending Text (Suikoden II)
- "Mathiu expelled him, but he's brilliant...a first class strategist." - Apple (Suikoden II)
- "He thinks of Apple like a little sister. But he's such a cool customer, he never lets his true feelings show." - Richmond (Suikoden II)
- "Apple first met Shu when she was just 11. She had no parents and was pretty taken in by him. Kinda like a schoolgirl crush, I guess." - Richmond (Suikoden II)
- "I'm a trader now. I use my knowledge to predict shifts in the world's economy. It's the greatest way to get rich. Rulers change, borders change, countries change, but money is a constant. In fact, nothing is better for business than a good war." - Shu (Suikoden II)
- "Master Mathiu and Shu, they were both so important to me..... But they couldn't get along...." - Apple (Suikoden II)
- "He never saw Mathiu again after that day." - Richmond (Suikoden II)
- "I've got a gold coin here. It's the kind I use when I'm trading with the island countries south of the Toran Republic." - Shu (Suikoden II)
- "And I heard that Shu, the famous trader, is in Jowston..." - Gordon (Suikoden II)
- "Lord Shu is the best trader that comes around here. It's cause he handles every little detail himself." - Man (Suikoden II)
- "Lord Shu is nice to us too. For a young man, he certainly is polite." - Old Man (Suikoden II)
- "I was laid off by Lord Shu, but he gave us all lots of money, so I'm gonna go to the country to seek my fortune." - Man (Suikoden II)
- "Unlike you, I don't think I'm some kind of god to use people like pawns!!!!" - Shu (Suikoden II)
- "You disgust me! You had talent, but you used it wastefully. To me, you're the very definition of garbage!!!" - Leon Silverburg (Suikoden II)
- "A miscalculation. You meddlesome little... My role was finished and I was already at peace....." - Shu (Suikoden II)