Sanae Yamamoto (サナエ・ヤマモト, Sanae Yamamoto), usually referred to as Sanae Y (サナエ・Y, Sanae Y) in-game, is a supporting character in Suikoden III. She is the dutiful, oft-serious scion of the Yamamoto household.
Sanae is the daughter of Freed and Yoshino Yamamoto, two veterans of the Dunan Unification War. She has to wear glasses due to her bad eyesight, a trait both her parents suffer from. Sanae fights using a naginata, as her mother did, and this combined with her kimono and polite nature causes her to come off as somewhat serious. She was beloved by all of the citizens of her parent's home city of Radat Town before she decided to set out on her own journey to develop her skills.
She originally journeyed to the Grassland in order to train before finding a husband but would agree to join the Fire Bringer once the War of the Champions broke out in the region. At the castle, she set her spare time aside to develop kitchen skills. Sanae is a talented, if inexperienced chef, with nukazuke pickles being her specialty. She was said to be working on a meat and potatoes recipe as well. Sanae trained diligently under Juan, hoping to reach the same level of skill as her father. She also found great interest in the theater run by Nadir, and would often read beyond the script, in an effort to 'become' her character.
Following the war, she declared her training complete and returned to her home in the Dunan Republic, ready for marriage.
Once you meet the folks at Budehuc, Sanae will have since lost her glasses at the Duck Village inn and ironically be searching for them in the back area. They can be found by simply talking to a someone nearby. Sanae will join as soon as you return them.
- Sanae's weapon upgrades as Naginata, Long Naginata, Great Naginata.
- Sanae participates in the Girl Attack with Emily and Sharon. Emily pummels the foe toward Sharon and Sanae who slam the enemy with their weapons in a manner akin to a baseball bat.
- Sanae learns the unique skills Counter Attack and Shield Magic.
- Her outfit and weapon seem to suggest a Yamato Nadeshiko type, as did her mother, although her attitude does not completely conform to the type.
- Gensosuikoden Kiwami Encyclopedia, page 307