Nanami (ナナミ, Nanami) is a major character in Suikoden II who also has cameos in Gensosuikogaiden Volume 1 and Gensosuikogaiden Volume 2. Nanami is the energetic sister of the hero who supported her brother through much of the Dunan Unification War.
Nanami is a boisterous war orphan who was adopted and trained in martial arts by Genkaku, along with the hero. Despite the distance of the townfolk, Nanami and the hero enjoyed a happy childhood, becoming close friends to Jowy Atreides.
When Jowy and the hero signed up for the Unicorn Brigade, Nanami remained in Kyaro Town. When the hero returned, now accused of having been a spy in the massacre of the unit, Nanami fled with the hero into the City-State of Jowston.
Nanami joined Viktor's mercenaries along with the hero. After having witnessed the atrocities of Luca Blight in Toto Village and the death of Anabelle, Nanami began to long to run away from war and live a quiet life. Nanami took Jowy's betrayal and murder of Anabelle particularly hard, at first believing her friend incapable of doing such an act.
However, Nanami instead became more embroiled in the war when the hero became the leader of the New State Army. At first unwilling to accept that her brother was the one to take this role on, Nanami remained protective of him and accompanied him on missions in Greenhill City, the Matilda Knightdom, Muse City, and Tinto Principality.
During the capture of the Matilda Knightdom, Nanami was seriously injured in an attack by Gorudo. As the hero attempted to shield her, Nanami realized that she was putting him at risk because he was willing to die to protect her. Knowing that he would need a home after the war, Nanami decided to return to Kyaro and wait for him, trusting Shu to tell him when the time was right.
After the Dunan Unification War, Nanami reunited with her brother and Jowy and happy set off on a journey with them
Personality and Traits
A bubbly young tomboy, Nanami believed herself capable of acting ladylike, but was more frequently considered a child. Nanami was also a terrible liar and actress, completely unable to fool the guards of North Sparrow Pass and Muse City when attempting to pass through their checkpoints.
Trained by Genkaku, Nanami was a talented martial artist with a strong work ethic, training during the Dunan Unification War through the night. Nanami boasted such skill that even the hero himself had never won a practice round with his adopted sister. Nanami used her skills to try to protect her brother, escorting him on missions to keep him safe even with professional soldiers and mercenaries such as Viktor and Flik by his side.
Nanami was a great fan of cooking, despite her own mediocre talent. To the amazement of many, the hero was a fan of Nanami's meals.
- The attack Nanami threatens the guards in Kyaro Town with is Genkaku's Golden Bird Holy Flower Dragon Tooth Glory Punch.
- Nanami has two recipes named after her: Nanami Ice and Nanami Cake, which mix Salt with Ice Cream and Cake, respectively. These foods heals HP, but also have a chance of causing the Panic status effect.
- ”Come on, come on, the martial arts Grandpa Genkaku taught me aren't just for decoration.” - Nanami (Suikoden II)
- ”Everyone took care of us well in Highland, but they were distant somehow...” - Nanami (Suikoden II)
- ”Do you know what I want? I want to go somewhere far away. Far away from all this war, somewhere in the mountains maybe. We could live a quiet life.” - Nanami (Suikoden II)
- ”Hey.........Riou Is it true?.....Did Jowy really...do that to Anabelle.....? …...................No, he would never do such a thing.” - Nanami (Suikoden II)
- ”Why has this happened? Why do you have to do everything? I'm not sure I trust this Shu. But I guess we have no choice but to fight now. It'll be okay. I'll be here to protect you.” - Nanami (Suikoden II)
- ”When there were arrows raining down on us and Riou tried to shield me with his body, I realized it.... Riou shouldn't do such a thing. He's too important for that.....” - Nanami (Suikoden II)
- ”After reuniting in Kyaro, the three friends continue to journey merrily together.” - Nanami's Ending Text (Suikoden II)
- ”What do you mean 'overacted'? I acted like a 28 year old woman.” - Nanami (Suikoden II)
- ”Don't worry, though, Nanami... I'm not interested in children. “ - Flik (Suikoden II)
- ”Does she really have to train all night long? All the soldiers complain about the noise she makes.” - Richmond (Suikoden II)
- ”Besides, you've never beat me in practice, remember Riou?” - Nanami (Suikoden II)
- ”Wow. I feel sorry for you alright. You had to eat her cooking when you were growing up? Blech!.....” - Richmond (Suikoden II)
- ”In the name of Grandpa Genkaku, Here's his secret Golden Bird Holy Flower Dragon Tooth Glory Punch!” - Nanami (Suikoden II)