Mathiu Silverberg is a famous military strategist who worked for both the Scarlet Moon Empire and the Toran Liberation Army. Mathiu served as a military strategist under Kasim Hazil during the War of Succession and served the empire faithfully until the Kalekka Incident. The Kalekka massacre haunted Mathiu, who decided to leave the Scarlet Moon Empire's service. Mathiu travelled to Seika, where he established a school. Mathiu also travelled to the Grassland for reasons unknown, before returning to Seika in the year 453. Among his students were Apple and Shu who in turn became famous strategists as well. At some point, he expelled Shu as he used his intellect for selfish gain.
Mathiu refused to use his skills to fight for the Toran Liberation Army and his sister, Odessa Silverberg. This caused a schism between the two siblings, as Odessa never forgave him for rejecting her.
After Odessa's death, Teo McDohl's son travelled to Seika in order to meet Mathiu, but Mathiu refused to even discuss Odessa's death. However, after Teo's son rescued students who Scarlet Moon Empire soldiers took hostage in an attempt to bring Mathiu back into military service, Mathiu joined the Liberation Army as Chief Strategist.
His strategies usually involved intense cooperation between differing groups and were most effective when clear communication lines between legions were available. Despite this, however, he was not afraid to act on his own. For example, once suspicions that a spy had infiltrated the Liberation Army became known, Mathiu made sure that his plans became shrouded in mystery. In fact even the leader of the Liberation Army, was caught by surprise when Mathiu announced his intention to attack the Northern Checkpoint.
However, a weakness of these strategies could be the lack of long-term planning. This showed itself most clearly with his plan for the surrender of Kasim Hazil, which involved allowing the City-State of Jowston to overrun the Senan region Although this proved effective in forcing the surrender of Kasim Hazil, it also forced the Toran Republic to go to war with Jowston immediately after its formation, which soured relations with its northern neighbours at once.
Mathiu was also resonsible for recruiting his uncle, Leon Silverberg, into the ranks of the Liberation Army, stating that while he did not trust Leon, but in his abilites. He also reunitied with Apple, one of his students, who returned from her studies in Crystal Valley as soon as she heard that her mentor is fighting once again.
After the Battle at Floating Fortress Shasarazade, Mathiu ordered the razing of the famed 'Floating Fortress'. During the attack, he was stabbed by Sanchez and was badly wounded.
Although he was injured, Mathiu continued to push himself, causing his health to rapidly degenerate. Following the last battle, he spent his last moments in a battlefield tent along with Liukan, passing away after receiving word that the Emperor had fallen and the war was over. Even as he passed away, however, Mathiu was still plagued with doubts that his participation in the war was right. This does not seem to be have been borne out of concern for his imminent demise but rather out of regret of all the lives taken during the three year conflict.
Mathiu Silverberg can be considered one of the most influential strategists that lived on the northern continent. He not only directly participated in events and wars which would eventually lead to the formation of the Toran Republic, but also tutored students who would become renowned strategists on their own.
Another student of his, Apple, also played a huge role during the Dunan Unification War, convincing Shu to join the New State Army and serving as secondary startegist. She would later teach Caesar Silverberg, Mathiu's nephew, in the art of war and he would quickly adapt to Mathiu's teachings. Apple also wrote a biography on Mathiu's life and took over his school in Seika after the War of the Champions.
- Mathiu also had a named student who had not become a famous strategist, by the name of Finn. Finn was the first student to befriend Apple when she started attending Mathiu's school.
- In the English versions of Suikoden, Mathiu is sometimes referred to as a doctor, and at other times as a strategist. This is a translation error; Mathiu does not have any medical background and he is only a military strategist. This is not his only translation woe; Mathiu's line "Oh my god. All this killing... in front of a children." is one of the series most famous quotes, especially when talking about bad translation work.
- "I discovered my own powerlessness, and left the Imperial forces. I was hoping to lead a quiet life, never to see war again." - Mathiu Silverberg (Suikoden)
- "I decided that I would never again be involved in war, in killing. But not Odessa. She chose to fight for her beliefs." - Mathiu Silverberg (Suikoden)
- "I see. I guess she never forgave me." - Mathiu Silverberg (Suikoden)
- "We have been ordered by Lord Kasim Hazin to bring you with us by force, if necessary." - Soldier (Suikoden)
- "It is likely that the City-State will temporarily occupy this region. But the Liberation Army will permit no more than that." - Mathiu Silverberg (Suikoden)
- "Master Mathiu! Don't strain yourself any further. You shouldn't be outside." - Liukan (Suikoden)
- "Hearing of the victory he rests in peace." - Mathiu's Ending Text (Suikoden)
- "Did I do the right thing?" - Mathiu Silverberg (Suikoden)
- "Master Liukan, I despise war. I always felt that to take a life of another, for whatever reason, was wrong. And yet I became a military strategist, and took many lives." - Mathiu Silverberg (Suikoden)