Genkaku was a popular war hero during a war between the Highland Army and the City-State of Jowston. Genkaku quickly rose to prominence in the State Army after a unit he commanded raided a Highland supply tent, buying the City-State time to recover. Genkaku was also instrumental in helping the Winged Horde move from Tinto Principality to Two River City.
During the war, Genkaku encounted his friend Han Cunningham, who came from the same village as Genkaku, as an enemy commander. The two did not let the war effect their friendship and would drink together in the middle of both camps; gradually, the two came to realize how stupid the war was. At some point, Genkaku came into the possession of the Bright Shield Rune while his friend Han received the Black Sword Rune.
The two drew up plans for a peace treaty that pleased nearly everyone, save the mayor of Muse City, Darell. Darell stubbornly refused to give the border town of Kyaro to the Highland Kingdom. With all sides tired of the war, Highland King Agares Blight came up with an idea for deciding a victor - the two nations would each send forth a champion in a duel. Darrell agreed to this, and the two heads of state chose Genkaku and Han as their champions.
During the duel, Genkaku refused to raise his sword to battle Han; as time passed, people became angry with Genkaku for refusing to fight. Eventually, Han knocked Genkaku's blade out of his hand and was declared the victor.
Genkaku was called a traitor and exiled by Darell. It was not until years later that the reason Genkaku refused to fight became known. Darell had coated Genkaku's sword with poison; even if he had won, Darrell would have exiled him anyway for murdering Han. At some point, he and Han sealed their runes in a cave in Toto Village.
After leaving the City-State of Jowston, Genkaku retired in the Highland Kingdom, where he opened a dojo and adopted two orphans, Hero (Suikoden II) and Nanami. Though not related by blood, the three happily bonded as a family. He eventually died of natural causes..
After his death, Anabelle] lamented that Muse could not atone for their sins against Genkaku. His adopted son, Riou, would one day come to possess the Bright Shield Rune and become the leader of the New State Army, a role he was chosen for due in part to his reputation as Genkaku's son.
- "Genkaku got command of a unit and raided Highland's supply tent. This slowed Highland long enough for the State to recover." - Viktor (Suikoden II)
- "Long ago we lived in the forests of Tinto. But then they took our land. They punctured it with holes that they called 'strip mines'. It was Lord Genkaku who invited us to come to this new land." - Susu (Suikoden II)
- "Genkaku and Han were from the same village and it looks like they were good friends. Sometimes they would drink together leisurely right in the middle of both camps. And doing so, they soon both realized what a stupid and pointless war it was." - Viktor (Suikoden II)
- "And so Genkaku and Han worked together to make a peace treaty. The citizens of both countries were overjoyed. All except for one man, the Mayor of Muse City..." - Viktor (Suikoden II)
- "Genkaku never once even raised his sword. Darell ordered him to fight over and over but he refused. Time passed, and the people got angry that the contest was spoiled. They blamed Genkaku." - Viktor (Suikoden II)
- "Genkaku was called 'traitor' and ordered into exile by Lord Darell." - Viktor (Suikoden II)
- "Darell had secretly coated the sword he gave to Genkaku with poison.Genkaku was ruined whether he won or lost. If he lost, fine. If he won, Darell was planning to expel him for his 'evil crime'. Genkaku detected the poison and couldn't bring himself to swing his sword." - Viktor (Suikoden II)
- "This writing...it says....'My friend and I seal our thoughts here. We deeply regret that we could not make them one.' - Han, Genkaku" - Nanami (Suikoden II)
- "You are the son of the hero, Genkaku, who was driven from the City-State 30 years ago. In your hand, you possess the same 'Bright Shield Rune' that Genkaku did. You are Lord Riou, who defeated General Solon Jhee of Highland. Many people look to you for hope. But more than all that, I've seen the brilliance in you. The kind of brilliance that this age needs. You must lead the State Army." - Shu (Suikoden II)