Mathiu at first refused the earring out of a wish to not be involved in Odessa's revolutionary ideals but even after deciding to become the strategist of the Toran Liberation Army, he still refused, noting that the earring showed the location of the Liberation Army's hideout. Believing that Odessa wanted Tir to succeed her as leader, Mathiu pressed Tir into keeping the earring and taking up the mantle of leadership.
- The English localisation refers to the item as 'Earrings' even though the Japanese item name, as well as the script in both languages, make it clear that there is only one earring.
- Gensosuikoden Kiwami Encyclopedia, page 24
- "I have...two requests. First, give this earring... to a fellow called Mathiu...in the village of Seika..." - Odessa Silverberg (Suikoden)
- "She was a fool. I knew it would come to this. I can't accept this earring. Please leave." - Mathiu Silverberg (Suikoden)
- "Earring?... You should keep this." - Mathiu Silverberg (Suikoden)
- "Look at it closely. There's a map inscribed in it that shows the location of the Liberation Army's hideout. Whoever holds this earring is destined to lead the Freedom Fighters." - Mathiu Silverberg (Suikoden)
- "But you Tir, however, are a born leader. I'm sure Odessa realized that. That's why she wanted me to meet you. Please accept this earring, and live out your destiny as leader of the Freedom Fighters." - Mathiu Silverberg (Suikoden)
|Key Items in Suikoden|
|Astral Conclusions · Binoculars · Blueprint · Copper Axe · Earrings · Fake orders · Fire Spear · Kirinji · Mathiu's letter · Moonlight weed · Prodigy · Running Water Root · Suiko Map|